Daily News Monitoring Service
   
ISSN 1563-9304 | Ashwin 21 1412 BS, Thursday | October 06, 2005
Home
  News Search
Archive 
piqbaqqo
Top Stories
National
Business & Economy
Politics
Regional & International
Readers' Opinion
ICT News
Local & District News
Commentary / Editorial
Readers' Opinion
Feature
From The Intl Press
Information Exchange
Sports
Highlights
Science & Technology
Editorial
Highlights
Other BD News Sites
Search International news source by

world-newspapers.com

Bangladesh Government Site
Bangladesh International Community Web Site


Top Stories


JMB suicide squads mounted attacks on courts-They brand country’s legal system barrier to Islamic rule

Wednesday October 05 2005 09:17:09 AM BDT

Militants arrested following Monday’s court bombings in three towns have hinted during interrogation that the Sunday’s bombings of court buildings in three districts were carried out by suicide squads of the outlawed Jamaatul Mujahideen. (Independent)

The religious zealots confessed to have targeted court buildings as they believed that the country’s legal system was the main barrier to establishing Islamic rule in the country, sources said.

Meanwhile court yesterday granted 10 days police remand for nine suspected militants arrested in connection with the October 3 court bombings in the districts.

Our Staff Correspondent from Chittagong writes: The six persons arrested for their suspected links to Sunday’s court bombings were produced before the court today. The court granted 10 days remand for two members of outlawed JMB.

The six militants were identified as Dulal Chowdhury (25) of Patia, Laltu (18) of Thakurgaon, Shahadat Hossain (25) of Thakurgaon, Omar Faruk, Suman Sarker and Shohel. Police sought ten days remand for two JMB cadres Laltu and Shahadat Hossain and the court granted the prayer.

According to police Laltu and Shahadat gave important information during interrogation after their arrest yesterday. "They told police that JMB has an armed wing named Shahid Nasrullah Arif Brigade (SNAB) for staging an armed Islamic revolution. They said they are members of the armed wing of JMB which have formed suicide squads to mount bomb attacks on different targets including key point installations," sources said.

According to the confessional statements of the arrested "Mujahids" police are searching for Mohammed, the local commander of the armed wing of JMB.

Sources said, Laltu and Shahadat mentioned the names of the cadres of the armed wing of JMB active in Chittagong. "One Mohammed organised the whole operation as he is the commander of the armed wing of JMB in Chittagong. Mohammed was responsible for the activities of JMB in Chittagong and Cox’s Bazar," they disclosed to police.

According to the statement of Laltu and Shahadat police seized one LG and two rounds of bullet from their house at Colonel Hat area at North Kattoli in the city last night.

Sources said, the arrested JMB cadres confessed that the SNAB trained a large number of militants in Chittagong. The SNAB trained their cadres in remote hilly areas of Cox’s Bazar for mounting an armed uprising.

Sources quoted, Laltu and Shahadat Hossain as saying that, they had collected the materials for manufacturing bombs from Cox’s Bazar to mount attacks on Chittagong Court. They manufactured the bombs at a house rented by one Mohammed Ali at Colonel Hat area.

Laltu also told police that one Mizan was hired from Cox’s Bazar for manufacturing the bombs used in attack on the Chittagong Court. Mizan manufactured the bombs at his rented house at Colonel Hat area in the city.

Laltu also confessed that one Mehdi was hired for detonating the explosives at the Chittagong Court yesterday. Mehdi hurled the bombs at the ejlas. They waited with bombs wrapped with books, police said.

The arrested persons told police that Shahadat Hossain came to Chittagong from Thakurgaon by train last week for the attack. "The plan of the attack at Chittagong Court was taken earlier. According to the plan, Shahadat Hossain and Laltu came to Chittagong and met other cadres there before the attack, sources in the law enforcing agencies said.

Sources said, metropolitan magistrate Akram Hossain had entered the ejlas after recording the statement of arrested militant Arshadul Alam alias T Alam in his room for half-an-hour. Bombs were hurled at his ejlas as soon as recording the statement of Arshadul Alam under Section 164, was completed

At least five bombs were thrown at the Chittagong Court yesterday. Of the five bombs one blasted in front of the ejlas of the metropolitan magistrate court. Two persons including a lawyer were critically injured in the blasts. Police arrested six persons for their involvement in the bomb attacks.

The Chittagong Metropolitan Police (CMP) has started intensified operations to nab the criminals involved in the bomb attacks.

The Commissioner of CMP Majedul Haque told The Independent that police are continuing operations at different spots in Chittagong after the bomb attacks. Police already arrested some persons in this connection, he said.

"We suspect that the criminals involved in the bomb attacks on Chittagong court are members of JMB and they came from other districts. The alleged ‘Mujahids’ came to Chittagong under the shelter of Abdus Satter," he added.

Our Chandpur correspondent reports that two suspected militants arrested from the town confessed to their involvement both in the August 17 and the October 3 terror attacks.

Based on the information provided by Abul Kalam and Billal who were caught red handed just after Sunday’s blasts, police nabbed one Abdul Kader from Comilla. The latter was also involved in the August 17 blasts.

Kalam said that under instruction from Dr Ghalib he along with 5 other militants arrived in Chandpur on August 16 and mounted bomb attack on the court the next day, according to Police Super BM Harunur Rashid.

In Khagrachhari police filed charge-sheet against 14 persons including Bangla Bhai and Shaikh Abdur Rahman.

UNB from Laxmipur adds: A magistrate court here Tuesday granted a five-day police remand for a suspected militant, arrested in connection with Monday’s bomb blasts.

Police produced suspect Masum, 21, before the court of Magistrate Abul Hossain, seeking a five-day remand for him and the court grated the appeal.

Masum, son of Mofazzal Hossain of Alinagar village in Bandar thana of Narayanganj district, introduced himself as JBM member of Chandpur and reportedly confessed to his involvement in Monday’s bomb blasts as DGFI, NSI, local DB and police jointly interrogated him later at night.

Masum, who rented a house with JMB leader Quamrul at Rehanuddin Bhuiyan road on September 30, was learnt to have said that he aided by his three associates hurled the bombs at the District Judge’s Court building.

Mujibul Haq, 80, and 15 others, including a judge and a policeman, were injured as two bombs went off at the District Judge’s Court building Monday morning.

Police arrested Masum from the court premises while running away amid a scramble after the blasts.

Bazlur Rahman, nazir of Joint District Judge Abu Sufian, filed a case with Sadar police station Monday in this connection.

Mujibul Haq, who went to the court to attend the hearing of a land dispute case and fell victim to the blast, was buried at his village home at Char Ababil in Roypur upazila Monday night.

BDNEWS from Narayanganj reports: Police nabbed two suspected JMB members on Monday night from a nursery at Mahmudnagar under Bandar thana of the district.

The arrested persons are Nurul Haque (45) and Selim (32).

The village home of Nurul Haque is in Laxmipur under Borhanuddin thana of Bhola district while Selim's home is in Madhobpasha under Bandar thana of Narayanganj.

OC of Bandar thana Abdus Salam told BDNEWS that the arrested persons during interrogation confessed to their involvement in the August 17 bomb blasts in Narayanganj and Narsingdi.

 

Independent


Send Your Comment Print This Article Email This Article
  More Top Stories - News
Hannan's arrest only to hide real culprits of Aug 17 bomb blasts?
Five in Kolkata jail for Bangla blasts, Dhaka in dark
Govt taking no preventive action against bird flu
Help nab culprits involved in bomb blasts: Khaleda
US Senate votes to bar prison abuse
JMB leader Ataur trained Chittagong bombers
BIMSTEC discusses possibility of Asian grid
India worried about PM’s security at SAARC Summit
One killed, 15 lakh marooned: Naogaon town under flood water
 

About Us |Editorial Info |Fair use Notice |Place Your Add |Send Article |Contact Us |Send Email